Subject: Re: Profits for freelance work.
From: [email-masked] (Mark Thompson)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 17:56:52 EST

Kim Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:
> One thing I've noticed in a lot of these game ads is that the artist 
> isn't going to get any money up front, but instead a share of the 
> "profits" if indeed there are any.

As Dave points out, there is a LOT of reason to be leary of these endeavors.
They are fine for the college kid working out of his home, but a career
minded animator with real living expenses could probably do much better.

> As far as freelancing goes, I'd like to know where all the jobs are. I 
> keep hearing 3D animators are in short supply, especially here in LA. 

Let me qualify that first statement. Seasoned or talented animators are
very hard to find. There is a glut of people who have picked up a 3D
package, played around with it for awhile, had some fun, and now would
like to make money at it. On the other hand, there is a huge shortage
of people who fully understand timing, lighting, cinematography, and
natural motion. Combine that with good creativity and the ability to
constuct a beautiful visual, and you have a rare find.  Here at Fusion
Films, I have been hunting for such people for months, and we haven't
found that many. So yes, good 3D animators *are* in short supply.

On that note, if you wish to send me a resume and demo reel, send it to:

Fusion Films, Inc.
51 Derry Street
Merrimack, NH 03054
attn. Mark Thompson

     *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     *           Mark Thompson                  (603) 424-1829    *
     *         Fusion Films, Inc.             [email-masked]  *
     * Director of Animation and Special FX                       *
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
--
[email-masked] (Mark Thompson) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]